Monday, January 26, 2009

The Nursery

Choosing a nursery theme/scheme turned out to be a tougher task than I expected. I scoured countless websites, catalogs and a few stores looking for bedding and furniture.
There are 2 pieces I knew from the beginning I wanted in the baby's room: 1) a child-size rocking chair that belonged to my grandmother when she was a girl and 2) the picture below that hung in my nursery when I was little.My great-grandmother gave this to my mom when I was born. Either she or my great-aunt stitched it. It looks sort of like cross-stitch but my mom says it's called "crewel." (I think I spelled that right...) It needs a new frame but otherwise I love it.
The rocking chair (not pictured because it's still at mom's) and the picture have an antique-y feel to them so that's what I kept in mind when selecting Baby Scrabble's bedding. My cousin Lori shared a website with me and once I received the swatches, I knew we had a winner.
We're able to custom order the bedding for about the same price as the sets I've found in stores, and in some cases this route is cheaper.
We've decided to paint the walls a neutral color. The color scheme will allow whatever chair/rocker/recliner I end up choosing to be a natural or chocolate brown which we will be able to use in any room down the road. The furniture we've picked is also something the baby can use for years: a crib that converts to a full-size bed, a dresser and an armoire that has lots of storage and can accommodate a TV . We haven't actually ordered the furniture yet because we've still got to finish cleaning out the baby's room and paint it.
I'm feeling a little bit better now that these "big" decisions are behind us. Now it's just a matter of putting the rubber to the road!

3 comments:

Lynnea said...

I like the fabric. It sort of has a vintage look to it.

Chris, Kristin, and Emily said...

love the fabric! things are coming along!

Anonymous said...

It looks so pretty!! It will be perfect for Baby Scrabble. I love the piece from your great grandmother, too. It will be a perfect addition to her room. I love things old and new for a nursery. Sounds like you're coming right along. It's fun, isn't it??